National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) & Disability Services
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Some people’s mental illness affects their ability to participate in daily living so severely, that they can be considered to have a psychiatric/psycho-social disability and may qualify for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). Some people with a mental illness may also have an intellectual or physical disability and may also be eligible.
The NDIS is now available in north Brisbane and Moreton Bay areas. Services in these regions are delivered by:
- Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) partner: The Benevolent Society
- Local Area Coordination (LAC) partner: Carers Queensland Ltd.
So what is the NDIS? click here to view a short video
- For more information about how the NDIS can support people with psychosocial disability click here
- For general information about the NDIS in Queensland click here
How to access the NDIS
Below is a few useful resources to help access the NDIS
- Eligibility Requirements
- Reimagine Today- supporting people with mental health conditions to navigate the NDIS
- Connections Inc have created the NDIS/FYI website
- Mental Health and the NDIS
- Accessing translation and interpreting service for NDIS participants
- Patient Information Booklet - Accessing the National Disability Insurance Scheme
For health professionals
- Information for GPs and Health Professionals
- General Practice Toolkit - Understanding your role in the NDIS
- Valid - 10 steps to excellent NDIS therapy reports
Information for service providers
Information for NDIS Participants
Who can help you start your plan?
Local Area Coordinator (LAC)
LAC’s will help most participants understand and use their NDIS plan. LAC will show participants how to use the myplace portal and connect them with supports.
The NDIA may fund a Support Coordinator in your NDIS plan if you need more help coordinating your supports and services. Find out more about support coordination here
Manging your plan
- Watch 'Top tips for keeping track of your NDIS plan' here