Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Services

We pay respects and acknowledge the Gubbi Gubbi and Turbul people, traditional ancestors and the descendants of this country we work and live in.

The following services provide support and assistance to meet the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples:

Institute for Urban Indigenous Health (IUIH) provides mental health and suicide prevention services in combination with drug and alcohol support services, known as the Social Health Program. This service is provided through all IUIH Primary Health Care Clinics. Call 1800 254 354 or visit their website.

Kurbingui offers a range of information and referral, youth development, family support and cultural connection programs. Phone 3156 4800 or visit their website.

ATSICHS can support you if you are a parent experiencing difficulties or concerns through family support and kinship care, to help keep your family together.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service offers free and confidential legal services to Queensland's Indigenous communities, if you are experiencing a legal issue that is causing you to feel troubled or stressed. Call 1800 012 255 or visit website.


The following websites contain resources and information tailored to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people experiencing thoughts of suicide in addition to general information about mental health:

BeyondBlue offers resources relating to mental health and suicide self-management and support.

The Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet provides resources and information relating to mental health, self-harm and suicide.


The following service directories can help you to search for organisations that offer mental health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples:

Murri Service Directory 

My Community Directory

National Health Services Directory

What to expect when accessing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Services:
  • Many organisations have online resources and information on mental health and suicide prevention that have been adapted to be culturally appropriate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
  • You can choose whether to access Indigenous-specific services or mainstream support services based on whatever you feel is best for you.
  • Your GP or mental health professional (e.g. psychologist) will play an important ongoing role in supporting you, so it’s important that you are comfortable talking about how you feel with them.
  • If you don’t, you are free to choose another by using an online service directory or visiting an Aboriginal Medical Service such as IUIH.
  • While Indigenous-specific service providers are established to meet the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, many mainstream providers also regularly undertake training and work directly with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to improve the ability of their service to be culturally safe and aware.

If you access mainstream services in the community or in a hospital, you may be asked if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person. This information helps staff to make sure your personal and cultural needs are met. For example, they might be able to allocate you a staff member who is also an Indigenous person.