Crisis lines may help if you or someone you are with is currently experiencing a suicidal crisis and wish to speak to a trained professional on the phone. The following crisis lines are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Lifeline Australia
Free, confidential and anonymous phone counselling for adults experiencing a personal crisis or thinking about suicide.
Call 13 11 14 or visit website.
- Kids Help Line
Free phone counselling or web chat service for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years.
Call 1800 55 1800 or visit website.
- Suicide Call Back Service
Free phone and online web chat service for people feeling suicidal or caring for someone who is suicidal.
Call 1300 659 467 or visit website.
- MensLine Australia
Free and confidential phone, online or video counselling service for men needing emotional support or in crisis.
Call 1300 78 99 78 or visit website.
- Beyondblue Support Service
Phone and web chat, support and advice.
Call 1300 22 4636 or visit website.
- Open Arms
Confidential phone support to all current and ex-service men and women and their families.
Call 1800 011 046 or visit website.
- 1300 MHCALL (1300 642255)
Access to mental health professionals in Queensland public hospitals. They can assess your needs and refer you to the most appropriate mental health service.
- StandBy Support After Suicide
Provides support to anyone who has been impacted by suicide at any stage in their life.
Call 0438 150 180 or visit website.
What to expect when calling a crisis line
- You will speak with a trained counsellor or professional that is skilled in working with people experiencing a crisis.
- If there is a high volume of callers, you may need to wait before speaking with someone.
- The responder may ask you questions, will listen to your situation and will focus on supporting you to reduce the distress you are experiencing.
- Crisis lines can provide general information about other organisations or services you can access, but may not be able to provide a list of services available in your local area.
- Crisis lines won’t be able to refer you to a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist - you will need to contact 1300 MHCALL (1300 642255) or contact your GP to be referred to clinical services.