8th Annual Borderline Personality Disorder Conference 2018
- Thu 12 Jul 2018
The Australian BPD Foundation invites you to the 8th Annual National Borderline Personality Disorder Conference 2018 to be held in September at the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Brisbane. The National Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) conference draws on a strong history of successful national events around Australia, and 2018 marks the inaugural Queensland event.
This year's conference theme is “Research Resources Respect: Connection Building” and will provide an opportunity for clinicians, practitioners, consumers and carers/family members from across Australia to come together to collaborate, share information and educate the wider community. We expect to attract delegates from every corner of Australia to this landmark event, and it will represent a significant step forward for the advancement of knowledge, awareness and services for this complex mental illness in Queensland.
The conference will be held on Tuesday 11th September 2018.
The pre-conference Workshop will be held on Monday 10th September 2018.
Hotel Grand Chancellor, 23 Leichhardt St (Cnr Wickham Terrace) Brisbane
Early Bird Registrations close on the 20th July for the 8th Annual National Borderline Personality Disorder Conference 2018
10 September 2018. Pre-Conference Workshop: Core treatment strategies for BPD (with specific emphasis on risk factors and risk assessment methods for self-harm and suicidality). Associate Professor Rao (Clinical Director of Spectrum Personality Disorder Victoria) will facilitate the full day workshop for Mental Health clinicians and other professionals working with people with personality disorders. A/Prof Rao invites you to submit your own case study for discussion during the workshop. Please contact him on Sathya.Rao@easternhealth.org.au and he will send you a template outlining the details required.
11th September 2018 Conference Day
Keynote, plenary and breakout Sessions for everyone who wants to learn more or to make a difference for those living with BPD.
Keynote Speaker: Professor Brin Grenyer – What treatments work for BPD?
Brin is a Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Wollongong and Director of the Project Air Strategy for Personality Disorders, in partnership with NSW Health.
Lived Experience Plenary Sessions:
◦ Dr. Haley Peckham: “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” Validating the impact of complex trauma without diagnosing disorder."
◦ Mahlie Jewell: "Stigma, Discrimination and life on the borderline".
◦ Kerry-Ann and Cherida Chapman: "Consumer and Carer Perspective on Living with BPD: Our Recovery Story:" Consumer and Carer Joint Presentation - a mother-daughter perspective of how strong relationships can overcome diagnosis and stigma of BPD.
Breakout Sessions and Workshops Including:
◦ Consumer Panel of people with lived experience of BPD
◦ Carer Panel of family or other carers of people with lived experience of BPD
◦ Carol Addicoat and Peter Fairbanks "Dual Diagnosis Building Positive Directions (BPD): Borderline Personality Disorder and co-occurring substance use".
◦ Prof Brin Grenyer, Director, Project Air "Developing a program to support families and other carers".
◦ Aaron Fornarino: (lived experience of BPD) "Men and BPD: The Elephant in the Room"
◦PLUS much more…………..
Some funding is available to support travel expenses for consumers and carers from interstate and regional Queensland For more information please contact us.
REGISTRATIONS ARE ESSENTIAL. To register and for further information go to www.bpd2018.com